Saturday, August 18, 2012

Breast pumps and pumping.


I went to the show today, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to nurse in public. He didn't even have any of his bottle, he was too distracted by everything around him! Oh well I guess there are plenty of more chances to do it :)

Noah at the show :)


Today I am discussing breast pumps and pumping. I have both a manual pump and an electric pump and I love both of them, although I don't always use them I do have them there if I need them. Before buying a pump I strongly recommend that you check out the reviews for them, this can save you a lot of comfort, time, and money.

The first years manual pump.
The first years manual breast pump is the first one that I bought, I bought this one before Noah was born because it was cheap and came with a lot of stuff. I didn't check the reviews for this one before I bought it (it actually has quite a few bad reviews) because it just didn't cross my mind at the time which could have been a big mistake. Luckily for me, I actually love this pump! It does what it's supposed to, it doesn't cause pain, it's comfortable, and it's been through quite a bit and it still hasn't let me down. I even accidentally washed the motor once, but surprisingly it still works. Manual pumps are great for when you are going out somewhere because they are compact, and they don't come with any cords or anything like that. They are also good for if you only pump occasionally, although I guess you could use one if you pump regularly if you wanted to and felt comfortable with it (I did for a while). The main problem people have with manual pumps is that it can take a bit longer. Manual pumps are a lot cheaper than electric pumps, you can control how fast you pump, and it's a great workout for your hand!

Ameda purely yours ultra electric breast pump.

When I decided to get an electric breast pump I really did my homework! (you definitely do NOT want to get the wrong electric breast pump) I read reviews for what seems like every single breast pump available, sorting them into no's, maybe's and eventually a definitely. I was almost sure I was going to buy the Medela pump in style advanced pump, which had almost perfect reviews. But then I saw a comment recommending the Ameda purely yours pump so I checked it out, and to my delight it had even better reviews than the Medela! So my choice was made. I ended up buying the Ameda purely yours ultra, which cam with different sized flanges, a cooler bag, and a tote bag (as seen in the picture above). The Ameda pump was quite expensive but when it comes to electric pumps, quality matters! My pump is amazing, I love it, and it was well worth the price I paid for it.

Everyone knows that hospital grade pumps are the best you can possibly get but those ones can easily cost over $1000, so understandably people opt for cheaper pumps that are still of good quality. Personally I recommend Medela or Ameda, but the best way to choose is to get onto Google (or Yahoo, or whatever search engine you use) and start researching breast pumps yourself. What I did was start with one that you already know of, check out the reviews and no doubt someone will recommend one that they found even better. Once you have found one to your liking you can also check to see if there are any 'packages' that come with them (only if you want to), for example you can get an Ameda purely yours pump by itself or you can get an Ameda purely yours ultra, which just comes with more things.


Another thing I would like to talk about is exclusive breast pumping. But I WILL save that for another post because I have a feeling I will have a lot to say about it and this post is going for long enough as it is :)

No comments:

Post a Comment