Monday, August 13, 2012

A few weeks later.

After the first six weeks my feeding was going so well, I felt as if I were on could nine! I was so happy that I continued to breastfeed and I was really starting seeing the results. My baby weight was dropping off, Noah never got sick, and I felt so energetic. I was so happy that the first six weeks were over and that I could now feed with painless ease. 

Happy little man!
But when Noah was nine weeks old something happened that took me back to the first six weeks, I got mastitis again and it was worse then the last time. I was back on antibiotics and Noah started to get a bit funny with the way he latched on, which started to bring back the pain. Each day got worse and worse, and even after the mastitis cleared up I was still raw and sore. I was so upset that all my progress had rewound that I felt like it was all for nothing and I was beyond ready to give up.

My nipples were so raw that they were bleeding quite a bit, it even got to the stage that Noah began to vomit up a bit of blood. I began to supplement some feeds with formula again to give myself a break (which I now wish I didn't as I would have probably healed faster if I didn't), and was on the verge of just switching him to formula. Again my partner was there to support me, going through the pros and cons of changing him to formula which there were a lot more cons than pros. I decided to continue breastfeeding and just used movies as distractions from the pain, which I think really helped the feeds go quicker. 

A few weeks later the pain persisted so my partner and I agreed to get me an electric breast pump to try. We ordered one online (as my town doesn't have much of a variety), which took about a week to arrive. While I was waiting for the pump to arrive I just used movies as distractions and kept a positive mind knowing my breast pump was going to arrive any day. When my pump arrived I got pumping straight away, with the only problem being that I couldn't pump as much as I was hoping I could. I still managed to pump enough to give me a few small breaks. The pump was awesome! But I couldn't exclusively pump which I actually considered doing  for a while. 

About a week and a half later (4 weeks since they started hurting again) my nipples began to heal, and it even stopped hurting. I was back to normal with my feeding again, and I was so happy that I didn't give up because it really is worth it in the end! Sticking to it was probably the best decision I have ever made. I have also listed some more reasons to keep breastfeeding below :)
  • It's free! (I know I've already listed this one but it's too awesome not to list again)
  • You don't have to clean any bottles
  • It allows you to be a little bit lazy ;)

    Also I do have a Facebook page which would be greart if you liked. I will take suggestions if there is anything you would like me to write about :)
     https://www.facebook.com/MommaGotMilk




No comments:

Post a Comment